Monday, August 6, 2012

Short and Sweet Review: Nothing Daunted by Dorothy Wickenden


Wonderful true tale of two friends who, in the early 1900's, leave their cushy society lives behind for a year to teach school in a remote Colorado mountain town. I felt that the book started a little slow, filling the reader in on the women's pre-Colorado lives and travels. I wanted to get to the heart of the story! But in retrospect I appreciated why the author did this-it made me appreciate their pioneer spirit all the more.

The setting of their adventure lies the mountains around Steamboat Springs, Hayden and Oak Creek, Colorado. All of the characters existed-many left a lasting impact on the valley and have relatives still in the area. For readers who love that territory they will truly enjoy not only the tale, but the appreciation of the valley's history the next time they visit.

This was a very enjoyable story to read and I was truly sorry to see it end. I recommend it for both beach reads and long winter nights-whenever you have a moment to slip back in time and savor the history of two very spunky Colorado pioneers, this is the book to choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment